Just in time

February 20, 2022

The Katniss Poncho is all done in time for the closing ceremonies tonight. It has been fun pattern to explore during the winter games and I really enjoyed making this piece. I also really enjoyed the unexpected rabbit hole I fell down with the Hunger Games and exploring family history in the area that is the setting of the dystopian Panem. This is the place where I process all of the amazing moments and athletes across the globe that participated; I really love the games. It is a sense of completing a knitting project that I set a strong intention to complete that sparks a flame to start another poncho. 





I also completing some amazing books along the way including the prequel to the Hunger Games; The Ballad on Songbirds and Snakes. I thought it would be fun to highlight some areas of the movie depictions of the Hunger Games series where yarn and over/knitware are shown. 

  • Hunger Games is filmed at the Henry River Mill Village; a former yarn mill
  • Hunger Games- opening dialogue with Seneca Crane and Cesar Flickerman explaining the Hunger Fames is something that "knits us all together"
  • Hunger Games- early trade with Katniss at the Hob for a ball of wool yarn
  • Catching Fire- the amazing knit cowl/vest worn by Katniss in opening
  • Catching Fire- on tour Katniss; the black and gray sweater, the cap sleeve sleeping sweater, infinity style cowl in blue, reverse triangle sweater, cable sweater, Haymitch; neutral color sweater
  • Catching Fire- burning of contraband in District 12 there is a large ball of yarn on dresser 
  • Catching Fire- Finnick's sweater
  • Mockingjay- Gale's black sweater, Tigris' cowl
  • Mockingjay- Katniss returns to what remains in District 12- sweater in the doorway in the rain and the woven baby blanket 
That is just a quick little snippets of moments I caught while re-watching the movies before the Olympics. It was unexpected to be exploring this series while I did this knitalong, but the Katniss Poncho begged to be knit and I am glad that is what I made!

Thank you to everyone that joined me on my Olympic Knitalog! I look forward to watching some of the Winter Paralympics also. I have a pot of Appalachian cider beans in the oven for the closing ceremonies dinner tonight. Cheers my friends! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Search This Blog

Pages