February's Arrival

February 01, 2017


Shew- friends it has been a wild ride the end of January.  Beginning to wonder what will come with the arrival of February!

As I was walking past our bookcase I actually starting to think about thinning and storing away my beloved picture book collection from the boys childhood.  Since we are in the throws of the teens and pre-teen years the picture books don't have the same appeal to them as they once did.  I on the other hand just love them!  But there was a galley of a book that I had gotten when I was still working in the book industry of an all graphic, no words book call The Arrival by Shaun Tan.

With everything that has happened this week with travel and immigration executive orders this book seems pretty timely.  It is a mixture of fantasy and amazing images telling the story of an immigration experience.  Since America is starting to feel like a dystopian world to me right now this book is another launching pad for discussion in my home.  Maybe I won't pack away all those books after all!



And since I am on a bookish post today I thought I would also share a jewel that recently was the result of an antiquing date with my partner.  He seemed to know of the book series Foxfire Book.  What I thought would be interesting reading maybe more vital than ever to know of all of skills necessary- you know just in case.


I am still embracing the "pink" color and will have an exciting announcement coming soon to keep the Pussyhat movement going!  More to come!

If you are interested in learning more or using The Arrival as a learning launchpad I found this site that has a link to a lesson plan- it truly is a phenomenal book for I am the great granddaughter of immigrants from Eastern Europe.  It is maddening to see fear take hold of and create laws in our land.  I will teach my children about how wrong this is.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Search This Blog

Pages