Things I love

February 05, 2017



Since February has a plethora of all things surrounding "love" I thought I would do some feature posts this month featuring things I love.  One thing that I love is vinegar.  Even as a kid I would sneak into the kitchen cabinets to steal swigs of vinegar.  Just writing this post trigers some taste buds in my mouth and it starts watering!

I have heard of Fire Ciders for a while and particularly the controversy surrounding some copyrights on this handed down herbal recipe.  It started to show up in my Instagram feed this past week that Feb 2 was World Fire Cider day so I decided it was time to make my first batch.



My youngest went with me on a trip to the store to acquire the fairly simple ingredients; onion, garlic, jalapeño, turmeric root, ginger root, horseradish root, and raw apple cider vinegar.  The only ingredient that was a little tricky to track down was the raw horseradish root but we found it on the third stop.

I read also that the vinegar could corrode the metal lid of your mason jar so I picked up a fermenting kit that had a great lid and we will be able to do some fermenting later with it.

It was a pretty simple time of chopping, layering, and topping off with the vinegar.  I also added some lemon juice and zest, a cinnamon stick, and peppercorns.  Now it just needs to sit for a few weeks and then yum!

The changing colors and the smells from it- I am most certainly in love!


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Search This Blog

Pages