Taking Shelter

February 11, 2018


Ahhhh, they are finally here- the Winter Olympics!  I am a junkie when it comes to the winter games.  I love them!  It is a great time to take shelter and curl up with my crew and wig out on the games with good food and lots of hot cups of beverages.


The last time the winter games were here I was just learning to knit and I made a basic garter stitch shawl that I still have.  I made it in gold with the Lion Brand homespun yarn.  That yarn turned out to be a nightmare to knit with and was 100% acrylic.  Four years later I still went with a goldish yellow yarn but this time I went with an American Wool from Brooklyn Tweed.  I really like the lofty quality and earthiness to the Shelter line.  I have come a long way on my own journey in knitting and learning about what fibers I want to use, a.k.a yarn snob!




All kidding aside it is not just being a yarn snob; it is about being thoughtful about the impact of my hobby.  I like to use natural fibers and then I am really wanting to thoughtful about sourcing those natural fibers.  Brooklyn Tweed is committed to an American sheep to skein wool yarn sourced from Wyoming Targhee-Columbia sheep that is dyed and spun on the east coast.  Shelter is a lovely medium weight yarn that is unbelievably light.

I chose the Eureka Cowl pattern that had caught my eye in Instagram last week.  I have never been very good with setting up shawl like patterns so I practiced a little before casting on.  So far so good though I was not really clear on counting out the popcorn stitch section nor too sure if that felt like me so I am just alternating the stockinette and garter sections.

Though I have really been drawn to pink lately and thought I would make it pink and I am super happy that I went with the Bale color- I still really love yellows in yarn!  I plan to get some rows in today before my crew makes a Korean taco feast for my family's shared Sunday suppers that we have been doing.  Seriously it does not get too much better than good shared food, family, Olympics, and knitting on this cold February day.  Did you catch that gold winning snowboard slopestyle run by Red Gerard last night?  You bet my needles were stopped during that run!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Search This Blog

Pages