in service

January 16, 2017




Reflecting today on how to have my craft be part of the world- to be of service.  Today I had my 4-H knitting kids over to my house as we are launching into the 4-H year.  This is my second year of volunteer service.  To be able to share this handcraft with them is incredibly meaningful- not just in sharing a handcraft down to youth, but in sharing the idea of coming together in a circle of space.  For them to break outside of the world of tablets and devices for a few hours and share in conversation and making over cups of tea is huge for me.



One thing that I would like to bring into our project this year is how to collectively bring in community service or crafting for a cause.  I will be brainstorming with the kids to see what they would like to do.  In the meantime we played the identification game once more with yarn, talked patterns, and looked through my copy of People Knitting to see pictures of kids their age knitting just like them- crossing the barrier of time to see their history and future at the same time.



I will share more in depth soon of an additional knitting service project I have been working on since December.  It involves the upcoming marches for Saturday Jan 21 and lots of pink yarn.  Check back for the full post!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Search This Blog

Pages