Smart Journey

August 29, 2017


Well- it is finally done!  My contribution towards the Welcome Blanket project- an alternative narrative this agenda to build a wall.  It was a craftivism project that took me just about 2 months to complete.



Why did I spend money and countless hours stitching away at a blanket?  Because at the core of my being I believe in the power of making and crafting to connect us.  In this case it allowed me to connect with other knitters across the country and globe to make something to symbolize welcoming- not building walls.  Much like the Pussyhat movement- I felt connected and inspired in my making to contribute to a cause.


My blanket is headed to the Smart Museum in Chicago next week to be displayed with others until they are then distributed to refugee resettlement organizations to place with families as a welcoming symbol.


Trying to stay true to my desire to be very conscious of my choice of yarns I decided to go with cotton.  I did read several review of the Billow cotton by Knit Picks of it's tendency to shed but I will tell ya- it did shed.  I am hoping that calms down after the first wash.  Another complaint I read about with this yarn was the thick thin element that often people did not like.  I actually really adore this element to the yarn.  I thought it added a rustic element to the blanket that really appealed to me.

I choose a pattern and color pallet that resembled "wheat" to reflect on both my heritage of being in the midwest and coming from a farming family on my mother's side and also of my Volga German ancestors that lived in the Saratov region of Russian in which has wheat in their flag.  You will have to let me know if I nailed it or not!

It was a thoughtful project I was happy to take on and I look forward to hopefully taking a trip up to Chicago to see it on display.

Wish my blanket luck as it makes its smart journey to Chicago and then onto a family!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Search This Blog

Pages