little bit ghosty, little bit history

October 25, 2016


Have I mentioned how I love that my boys will join me on some adventures that they normally would not because they know how much I dig it?  I will share later a camping adventure they indulged with me surrounding wool, but I digress!

So as it would happen to be I was on our local library's website yesterday requesting a new knitting book and putting a hold on a ghostly read for myself when I saw that there was going to be a walking history tour of one of our local historic cemeteries in town.  The talk was going to highlight symbolism, art, and early death customs.  I was hooked.

Some spirit must have also really wanted us to go because soccer practice also mysteriously was canceled- ok well maybe not a mystery; it typically gets canceled after a Sunday of play but I still took it as a sign.  So with a small amount of coaxing with promises of candy corn we hopped in the car and headed down to the cemetery.


In my college years I was actually quite fascinated with photographing and studying the art on old tombstones.  I think it started with my grandfather and I discovering the family plot of the old farm house and land where I grew up.  Symbolism has always been fascinating but when it is etched in stones for the dead; even more so.  When my own last name is a evident and deeply rooted in this symbolism I am even more intrigued.


The presentation was fantastic, full of lore, history, and I learned many new things that I did not know before- have I mentioned how much I love my local library?  She even ended with a very unique stone that there are very few examples of in the area that totally intrigued me further and I just might need to go on a little road trip to explore this weekend to find the other stones.


A fascinating afternoon with my fellas- thanks to what ever ghostly presence made me discover the event on the day it happened and even more love to my boys for sharing in this field trip with me!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Search This Blog

Pages